Sunday 9 July 2017

Book Review - The Cornish Hotel by the Sea by Karen King - Fab Firsts



Fab Firsts is my new regular Sunday feature, that is going to be highlighting books that are firsts. When interviewing authors, it will be about their first book, as well as other firsts in their lives. When reviewing books for this feature, there will be a mix of debuts, first books in a series, the first time I read an author, and possibly other firsts depending on what I can think of!

If you are an author wanting to take part in Fab Firsts then please do email on gilbster at gmail dot com and I'll whizz the questions over to you.

I hope you enjoy this look at a variety of hopefully fabulous firsts, while making some sort of dent in my review and paperback TBRs which are my current main focus!

Despite Karen King having written many many novels, this is actually the first one I have read. 

Amazon UK
Title: The Cornish Hotel by the Sea
Author: Karen King
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Publisher supplied copy
Publisher: Accent Press
Publication Date: 13th July 2017
Rating: 4 Stars


Ellie Truman’s widowed mum is struggling to keep Gwel Teg, the family hotel in Cornwall, afloat.  Ellie is determined to do everything in her power to help her, even if that means moving back to the sleepy Cornish village she fled from broken-hearted a few years ago.

Things go wrong from the start and she’s grateful for the help from hunky guest, Reece Mitchell. But does Reece have ulterior motives? Will Ellie’s efforts be for nothing?

One of the first things that made me smile about this book, was something rather simple, the name of Ellie (the main character)'s mother, Sue Truman. For you see she be coincidence shares the name of my aunt, and I must say it took me completely by surprise. 

This Sue is slightly older, and definitely a lot frailer, but she also has a wonderful daughter, and a clear sense of family. It is due to Sue's sudden illness that Ellie has returned to the family home in a small Cornish village to help look after the hotel her mum owns. 

Gwel Teg, is the hotel, and its fortunes are on the slide, and its up to Ellie to try to save the day and increase custom and deal with what seems to be a never ending to do list of tasks. There is a  rather sexy gentleman who also tries to help Ellie out, but as readers we can see that there is a lot more to him than meets the eye on first impressions. 

Reece may have an ulterior motive, but I couldn't help but fall for him anyway, I loved the way he was able to help out in the hotel, and he really did seem conflicted by some of his emotions. 

This is a lovely story, and I could really picture life in Gwel Teg, and the little Cornish village. I enjoyed seeing what the other members of the hotel's staff were like and how they dealt with problems. I loved seeing how Ellie and Reece's interactions changed over the course of the story, and I found myself hoping things would work out well. 

The Cornish Hotel by the Sea is a charming story with plenty to make you smile. I found it fairly quick to read, and the writing kept me engaged in the book the whole way through. 

Thank you to Karen formerly of Accent Press for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...