Sunday 23 April 2017

Book Review - My Sister by Michelle Adams - Fab Firsts



Fab Firsts is my new regular Sunday feature, that is going to be highlighting books that are firsts. When interviewing authors, it will be about their first book, as well as other firsts in their lives. When reviewing books for this feature, there will be a mix of debuts, first books in a series, the first time I read an author, and possibly other firsts depending on what I can think of!

If you are an author wanting to take part in Fab Firsts then please do email on gilbster at gmail dot com and I'll whizz the questions over to you.

I hope you enjoy this look at a variety of hopefully fabulous firsts, while making some sort of dent in my review and paperback TBRs which are my current main focus!

This is Michelle Adams debut novel and one that has really impressed me. 

Amazon UK
Title:  My Sister
Author: Michelle Adams
Format reviewed: Paperback
Source: Bookbridgr
Publisher: Headline
Publication Date: 20th April 2017
Rating: 4 Stars


My name is Irini. I was given away.

My name is Elle. I was kept.

All her life Irini thought she was given away because her family didn't want her. What if the truth is something worse?

Two sisters. Two separate lives.

One family bound by a harrowing secret.

My Sister as a really creepy vibe running right through it, and its one that I just couldn’t put my fingers on. The whole story is very intriguing and more-ish, and that feeling lasts even after I’ve finished it. I want more! 

The story centres on the relationship between two sisters. Irini and Elle and its all from Irini’s perspective.  For there is one big thing in their past that has affected the sisterly relationship. For Irini was given away to her aunt when she was just 3 years old, while Elle was kept by their parents. 

Irini has always wanted answers while feeling like she just wasn’t good enough, and has only met up with her sister a handful of times over the years, with a variety of outcomes. Irini though is properly estranged from her parents and so it is a rather odd feeling when their mother dies, and she returns to the family home for the first time in years. 

The whole way through the book you get the feeling something is just not quite right with Elle, but the specifics are only drip fed to us throughout the story, as a way to keep us interested. 

I was hooked on trying to discover along with Irini, just what happened all those years ago, and just what the family secrets are. Some you may be able to guess, others probably not, as there were definitely elements that I didn’t see coming at all. 

I can’t put my finger on what it is that makes this book so good, I just know I enjoyed it a lot and that it just works. What a great debut from Michelle Adams. My Sister comes heartily recommended as a suspenseful tale of sisters, betrayal and secrets. 

Thank you to Bookbridgr for this copy of the book which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

3 comments:

  1. Fantastic review, Rachel. My Sister sounds like the perfect weekend read. Love your Sunday debut feature - great way to keep up-to-date with what's 'happening' in the publishing world. Thanks. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fab review...I agree, this is one creepy book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh this sounds really good, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...