Wednesday 12 April 2017

Book Review - My Husband the Stranger by Rebecca Done -#AroundTheUKIn144Books #Norfolk

Amazon UK
Title: My Husband the Stranger
Author: Rebecca Done
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Michael Joseph
Publication Date: 6th April 2017
Rating: 3.5 Stars


What you would do if your husband became another person overnight?

'It's a funny thing, when the future you dreamed of can never be anywhere but the past'

When Molly married Alex Frazer, she knew it was for ever. Theirs would be the perfect future.

In sickness and in health.

However, after a night out with his twin brother, Graeme, a terrible injury leaves Alex with permanent brain damage. In a single moment the man she married is transformed into someone new. Someone who has forgotten how to love her. And someone Molly isn't sure she can ever love again.

Till death do us part.

The Alex she married no longer exists. Even with Graeme willing to help, Molly isn't sure that she can go on. How can she stay married to a man she doesn't know? Should she let the future she dreamed of slip through her fingers? And what really happened on the night that turned her husband into a stranger?

It was the fascinating concept that drew me to My Husband the Stranger, and it was due to my interest in the idea of the book, that kept me reading to the end. However having finished the book, I just can't help but feeling flat. I'm not sure exactly what I was expecting from the story, but I feel as though it could have been more. 

There were certain storyline elements that I could see coming a mile off, and although I was interested in the story, and it definitely was written in an engaging way, and I enjoyed the writing style, there was just something missing for me. 

Graeme saw Molly first. Later that same evening Alex, his twin brother, leaves the bar with Molly, and its the start of their relationship.  Fastforward to now, and three years after a dreadful accident, Molly is still hoping that Alex will turn back into the man she fell in love with. 

For three years ago there was a dreadful accident that caused Alex brain damage, and it has drastically changed his personality. He is now like a child in an adults body, with some of a childish mindset, but at other times incredibly angry, and other times can just about show the old Alex is still deep inside him. 

And it is for that reason that Molly is determined to stand by her man, no matter what cost to herself and her own dreams potentially. 

We get the story from two different perspective, Molly in the hear and now, stuck in a job she hates, caring for her husband, and trying to make the best of the situation, and then, we have chapters from Alex's point of view, which are the memories of how he and Molly got together and key moments in their relationship history. 

The story at all times kept me wondering what would happen next, and ultimately what Molly would decide. Graeme wants to offer them as much support as he can, and it must be so weird for Molly to spend time with the twins, when one of them has changed to dramatically. 

My Husband the Stranger certainly makes you think, how would you cope in Molly's situation. I'm not sure I'd be compassionate enough (to my non existent) husband to cope with a major change in personality although I'd like to think that love would overpower everything. 

Thought provoking and throws up intriguing questions, in a book that I enjoyed reading.

Thank you to Netgalley and Michael Joseph for this copy of the book which I reviewed voluntarily and honestly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...