Thursday 16 February 2017

Book Review - Sunshine Over Wildflower Cottage by Milly Johnson

Amazon UK
Title: Sunshine Over Wildflower Cottage
Author: Milly Johnson
Format reviewed: Paperback
Source: Purchased
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Publication Date: 16th June 2016
Rating: 4.5 Stars


Viv arrives at Wildflower Cottage, a tumbledown animal sanctuary, for the summer. Her job is to help with the admin, but the truth is she is here for something much closer to her heart…

Geraldine runs the Wildflower Cottage sanctuary. She escaped from her past to find happiness here, but now her place of refuge is about to come under threat. Can she keep her history at bay and her future safe?

Back home, Viv’s mother Stel thinks she might have found a man who will treat her right for once. Ian is kind, considerate, and clearly head over heels for her. That’s what she has wanted all along, isn’t it...?

Escape to Wildflower Cottage this summer for love, laughter and friendship…

Another incredibly brilliant story, from the always talented Milly Johnson. This is such a touching story, and I loved how within the first chapter we had been introduced to the whole menagerie at the Wildflower Cottage wildlife sanctuary. 

What confused me slightly more then being introduced to Viv's mum Stel and her whole friendship group in the very next chapter, which felt quite early on like information overload. It took me a while before I came to embrace the chapters that involved Stel and her friends, and their assorted life problems, 

Stel is a romantic and easily trusts men, and she is completely convinced this time she may have met the man of her dreams. However from my point of view there were red flags popping up really early and I wished I could reach into the book to try and tell Stel what I was seeing. 

I loved Wildflower Cottage from the start, and Viv's employment there seems a bit odd to start with given she is scared of most animals. There was clearly an ulterior motive for her getting the job, and although I had some half hearted ideas, all I will say is it was refreshing that her true reasoning only fully became apparent at the point she needed to reveal it herself.  If you are anything like me, then you will be a bit shocked. 

That wasn't the only shocking thing in the book which meant the last perhaps 150 pages were the easiest to read of all, as I was drawn into the action that was unveiling, I couldn't put it down. I felt as though I was there alongside the characters, which by that stage I had grown to love. 

There is far more going in Sunshine Over Wildflower Cottage and I have a feeling I may need to re-read this book just to work out if I missed any vital clues, or to pay more attention on Stel's friends, as it turns out some of the sideline stories were quite interesting too, but because I wasn't really sure about them at the start of the book, I never quite felt connected to the group. 

Thoroughly enjoyable story from one of my must read authors, written in Milly Johnson's clear concise style and it kept me guessing throughout. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...