Sunday 19 February 2017

Book Review - One Little Mistake by Emma Curtis - Fab Firsts



Fab Firsts is my new regular Sunday feature, that is going to be highlighting books that are firsts. When interviewing authors, it will be about their first book, as well as other firsts in their lives. When reviewing books for this feature, there will be a mix of debuts, first books in a series, the first time I read an author, and possibly other firsts depending on what I can think of!

If you are an author wanting to take part in Fab Firsts then please do email on gilbster at gmail dot com and I'll whizz the questions over to you.

I hope you enjoy this look at a variety of hopefully fabulous firsts, while making some sort of dent in my review and paperback TBRs which are my current main focus!

One Little Mistake is Emma Curtis' first psychological suspense novel, and given it had been staring at me since I won it from Dead Good, I figured I should probably read it!

Amazon UK
Title: One Little Mistake
Author: Emma Curtis
Format reviewed: Paperback 
Source: Competition Win
Publisher: Transworld Digital
Publication Date: 23rd February 2017
Rating: 4 Stars


Vicky Seagrave is blessed: three beautiful children, a successful, doting husband, great friends and a job she loves. She should be perfectly happy.

When she risks everything she holds dear on a whim, there's only person she trusts enough to turn to.

But Vicky is about to learn that one mistake is all it takes; that if you're careless with those you love, you don't deserve to keep them . . . 

I'm still reeling from the finale of this book, especially having been convinced very early on how I was expecting everything to turn out, but the reality was far more dramatic and a lot more gripping than my imagination was ever going to think! 

The story is all about how one quick minor absences of common sense or judgment can affect your life in ways far outside of your control. With the mistake that Vicky makes, as she was making it I was cursing myself for picking up another of a certain subset of psychological thriller, so soon after reading others with similar themes, thankfully I couldn't have been more wrong if I tried, although there are elements present. 

The story is told both from Vicky's point of view, but also of a girl 18 years ago, who is going through a tough time. Unfortunately due to what I believe to be an error in my proof copy very early on, I pretty much knew how the stories were connected, but even with that info it still wasn't enough to prepare me for the details of the way they converge. 

As a warning - I'm not sure how related it is but the night after I read the first 200 pages of this book, I had a horrifically disturbing dream, and when I came to from it, I had the books name in my mind over and over. Perhaps don't read this too close to bed time. 

I found the story quite easy to follow and I liked the way that Emma Curtis portrayed the characters and the way the action ramped up throughout the book. The more I read the more involved I was, and the more I was thinking about the book, when I wasn't reading.  If it hadn't been for my commute I probably wouldn't have put down the last 100 pages or so! 

One Little Mistake will make you question your friendships, and just what you would do if you make a very small spur of the moment decision, knowing that it could haunt you forever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...