Friday 23 December 2016

Book Review - Bertie's Gift by Hannah Coates - #CuteChristmas

Amazon UK
Title: Bertie's Gift
Author: Hannah Coates
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Hodder & Stoughton
Publication Date: 20th October 2016
Rating: 5 Stars


For fans of A Streetcat Named Bob and Buster the Boxer, this is the heart-warming, inspirational story of one cheeky little dog and his beloved sister, two grumpy cats, and a family at Christmas.

Bertie is alone, devastated after his beloved sister and fellow beagle Molly is adopted, leaving him behind. When Bertie is taken in by the Green family, it seems he's finally found a place to call home...

Yet Bertie swiftly realises that the kind and loving Green family is in crisis. After a tragedy two years ago, they've never recovered - and as Christmas approaches, grief is pulling them apart.

Never has a four-legged friend been more in need - and brave, warm-hearted Bertie must rise to the challenge. Can he enlist the help of hostile felines Kitty and Rico to help him find Molly - and can he bring the Green family back together again, all in time for Christmas?

Emotional and adorable I think are the key words to describe Bertie's Gift. Written from Bertie's point of view, we are taken on a harrowing tail of his long term owner's grief, a dog shelter and then his new home...

He has always been close to his sister Molly, but when they are taken to the dog shelter, the two loveable beagles are split up and adopted by two very different families. All Bertie wants is to be reunited with his beloved sister. 

And in trying to find her, he enlists the help of some unlikely friends at his new house. In the mean time his new family are also struggling emotionally, and Bertie is also wishing he could do more to try and get the various family members to talk to each other. 

When I started Bertie's Gift I wasn't expecting for me to be unable to put it down, and for me to lost in the pages for the following three hours while I read this story. It grabbed me from the first pages, and tugged my heart in all angles, to the extent I was pretty much in tears by the end. 

I was so impressed by how much Bertie and his canine and feline friends got under my skin, and I really felt for all of them. Bertie is a young dog, and doesn't mean to get into as much trouble as he seems to, but sometimes just can't quite control his natural doggy instincts. 

Bertie's Gift is a wonderful heartwarming story, about man's (and woman's ) best friend, and just how loyal dogs are to each other and to their humans. This I feel would be a fantastic book to give as a Christmas present to an animal lover, or to anyone that loves brilliant books.

Thank you Hodder and Netgalley for this copy of the book which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

If you like the sound of Bertie's Gift, don't forget to enter my giveaway for a copy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...