Sunday 16 October 2016

Book Review - Left For Dead by Deborah Rogers

Amazon UK
Title: Left For Dead
Author: Deborah Rogers
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Author supplied review copy
Publisher: Lawson Publishing
Publication Date: 21st August 2016
Rating: 5 Stars


Amelia Kellaway is ecstatic. The thirty-something lawyer has quit her job and turned her back on the suffocating corporate world of a New York law firm to embark on a three month solo trek of the California Coastal Trail. But as Amelia sets out on her big adventure, things take a sinister turn when she's kidnapped by a stranger and taken deep into the wilderness. 

A fast-paced read, this chilling novella delivers a heart-pounding conclusion that you won’t see coming.


I really wasn't sure if a psychological thriller would work at novella length, given I only ever seem to find full length novel versions, but if Left For Dead is anything to go by it works incredibly well. Due to the shorter length of the book, I think the pacing was ramped up to the levels that I love in books, fast paced, with a sense of danger at all times. 

Amelia was looking forward to her big adventure, but before it even starts, she ends up on a larger adventure than she would have ever expected, after being kidnapped and then left for dead. In the wilderness of America, Amelia is in a race against time, and wild animals to do everything she can to survive and somehow find safety. 

I read the whole story in about 2 hours flat, barely pausing for breath. I didn't want to be interrupted, I was just hooked on the story. The descriptions of the various conditions and situations Amelia was in, were a mix of horrifying and vivid, you could really see what has happening as it was happening, and I must say I did have a soft spot for a certain wild animal during the book. 

This is a fairly intense story, and I just can't help but wonder just what the motivation behind the kidnapping was, or generally a bit more about the villain, but other than that, I found this to be a thrilling book, and is a book that will keep you hooked from cover to cover. 

Thank you to Deborah Rogers for this review copy. This was my honest opinion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...