Monday 30 May 2016

Book Review - The Xenophobe's Guide to the Greeks by Alexandra Fianda - Greek Week


Title: The Xenophobe's Guide to the Greeks
Author: Alexandra Fiada
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Purchased
Publisher: Xenophobe's Guides
Publication Date: 15th August 2010
Rating: 4 Stars

A guide to understanding the Greeks which takes an insightful, irreverent look at their character and attitudes.


While I was planning my blog's Greek Week, I spotted that I had downloaded this book years ago, and couldn't resist finally reading it. It is a tongue in cheek look at all things to do with the Greeks, from their culture, politics, way of life, family, food and all other aspects of Greek life. 

I'm fairly sure a lot of it is based on fact, and the rest is just meant to be poking fun at a nation, as this is one in a series of these guides to various nations. 

I found it quite enjoyable and much of the information in the book did ring true to my own knowledge of the Greeks. 

I think this would be an amusing book to read if you were on your way to Greece, or on your way back, to see just how much of it you recognise in the real world.  At under 100 pages its a glimpse at what makes the Greeks Greek, as opposed to an in depth guide, but does give you a decent taste of everything. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...