Monday 23 May 2016

Book Review - Walking Back to Happiness by Lucy Dillon - Rachel Reads Randomly Book #27

Amazon UK
Title: Walking Back to Happiness
Author: Lucy Dillon
Format reviewed: Paperback 
Source: Competition Win
Publisher: Hodder & Stoughton
Publication Date: 9th December 2010
Rating: 5 Stars


Juliet’s been in hiding. From her family, from her life, but most of all from the fact that Ben’s not around anymore. Her mother Diane has run out of advice. But then she insists Juliet look after her elderly Labrador and it becomes apparent that Coco the dog might actually be the one who can rescue her daughter. Especially when it leads to her walking dogs for a few other locals too, including a spaniel, Damson, who belongs to a very attractive man... Before she knows it, Juliet realises she has somehow become the town’s unofficial pet-sitter. A job which makes her privy to the lives and secrets of everyone whose animals she’s caring for. But as her first winter alone approaches, she finally begins to wonder if it’s time to face up to her own secrets? To start rebuilding her own life? And maybe – just maybe – to fall in love again?

As Walking Back to Happiness started, I was wondering if it really was the book for me, as Juliet to start with is understandably still very grief stricken, and I just found her hard work to read about. However as her family continue to try to do anything to get Juliet out of the house, as well as to make house improvements, my enjoyments at seeing Juliet blossom became apparent until I was loathe to put the book down. 

I may have said it before, but I am more than happy to say it again, I love Lucy Dillon's books especially when there are dogs involved, and not only are there dogs but cats too, or at least one incident with a cat that really springs to mind, that helped bring her closer to her next door neighbours. 

She really hadn't met her new neighbours before this year, as they moved in around the time that her husband died, but very gradually they get to know each other and a brand new friendship is formed. Not to mention the incredibly handy builder they happen to have living with them, who helps Juliet a lot without her even realising it. 

In contrast to Juliet's story, some chapters focused on Louise, her sister, who isn't having the easiest time of things herself, but partly for self inflicted reasons, which will be explained during the story. Louise is a slightly harder character to like, but towards the end my feelings towards her did change a lot. 

I loved how Juliet manages to end up with new job of being a pet-sitter for the entire small town she lives in, and as a result we are introduced to loads of adorable dogs all with their own personalities, and occasionally we find out details of their owners too. 

Once the story picked up a bit, I fell in love with the entire book, and found it to be a wonderful story, with emotive language that is as entertaining as it is emotional. 

Thank you to everyone who voted for Walking Back to Happiness. I am so glad you all made me finally pick this book up off my pile and read it, and I look forward to seeing what you pick for me again this week. 

4 comments:

  1. Obviously a good choice, Rachel. Gorgeous review! Well done, Lucy! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to see it was that good. Now I know what to pick up next time when I'm in library. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely worth looking for in your library, such a lovely book.

      Delete
  3. Ei haven't read any of her boos perhaps I should.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...