Tuesday 23 February 2016

Book Review - Reader, I Dumped Him by Lorelei Mathias

Amazon UK
Title: Reader, I Dumped Him
Author: Lorelei Mathias
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Avon
Publication Date: 4th February 2016
Rating: 3.5 Stars


This story is a celebration of the people that bring you back to life when your world closes in: your mates.
Relationships come and go, but the Break-up Club membership never truly expires.

Holly Braithwaite and loveable loser Lawrence have been together for five years. But the obvious cracks in their relationship can no longer be ignored and Holly soon finds herself saying ‘it’s not you, it’s me.’

In the shock aftermath of their break up, Holly finds unlikely companions in Olivia, Harry and Bella. Together, they form the Break-up Club, as they support each other through their mutual melancholy and find ways to love, laugh and function as human beings again.

Break-up Club meets every Sunday. Each week, as the comedy and drama unfolds, they discover a new BUC ‘rule’. And, one by one, the rules become vital markers on their journey to recovery . . .

‘BREAK-UP CLUB’
To our members, we’re the first emergency service

I really liked Reader, I Dumped Him...the premise is absolutely great. A group of friends all suffering through break ups at around the same time, decide to become more of a club, to help each other through, back to happiness. 

The book starts off brilliantly, with the list of the rules of the club, and from them I was laughing and smiling, and thinking what a great opening. Having seen some more of what led Holly to break up with Lawry (her boyfriend of five years), I completely agreed with her reasons, and couldn't believe she hadn't done it sooner. 

Holly is a TV editor for a bad reality TV station, and her boss, is just out to exploit her for ideas. Some of the ideas proposed for possible shows were laughable, and others were just plain wrong. Thankfully according to Holly's boss Jez, I wouldn't fall into his target audience. 

I really loved the last quarter of the book, as suddenly there was some tension, and things started to come to logical conclusions. What bugged me unfortunately was the middle section of the book, which just seemed to drag on a bit. I get that the four friends were all dealing with their own misery, but it felt like they were dragging me down with them. 

 I was predicting who Holly would end up with, and I am very glad to say that I was wrong. As a Northern Line commuter, I did enjoy  the various mentions of the line and its annoying attributes, as Holly was travelling around London.  There is a lot to like with Reader, I Dumped Him, but I felt it could have been a bit shorter and punchier.

Thank you to Avon and Netgalley for this review copy. This was my honest opinion. 

Now presenting the new title and cover for Read, I Dumped Him... The Break Up Club




1 comment:

  1. I like your personal involvement with the story Rachel x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...