Thursday 21 January 2016

Book Review - The Runaway Bridesmaid by Daisy James

Amazon UK
Title: The Runaway Bridesmaid
Author: Daisy James
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Carina
Publication Date: 28th September 2015
Rating: 3.5 Stars


What a girl wants…

Squeezing herself into a frothy, flouncy, bubble-gum pink dress, Rosie Hamilton thinks that being a bridesmaid for her spoilt little sister Freya can’t get any worse.

But discovering her boyfriend in a cupboard with the bride, ten minutes before Freya is due to say ‘I do’, is the icing on the sequinned wedding cake – and Rosie’s cue to pack her bags.

Swapping her Louboutins for Wellingtons, Rosie throws her bridesmaid bouquet in the air and flies from bustling New York to sleepy Devon. Her late Aunt Bernice’s cosy countryside cottage is the only place that’s ever felt like home.

Now, for the first time in her life, and with the help of her beloved Aunt’s diaries, Rosie must put herself first for a change – and decide what she really wants…

I found myself enjoying The Runaway Bridesmaid, more and more as the story progressed. To start with it felt a bit slow, and I really didn't like the interaction between sisters Freya and Rosie. Freya is far to self centered, and what she did on her wedding day, would cause anyone to runaway. 

It wasn't so much that I didn't enjoy the start, more that I didn't like Rosie's way of life in New York, although things did change very fast. I will admit that I loved the first sentence of the book that had me laughing. 

However everything changed once Rosie has fled to Devon. She is there for her beloved Aunt's funeral, but after finding her diaries decides she will stay for a short while. Its the discovery of the Bake Yourself Better cookbook that really caught my interest, and I loved Rosie's attempts to bake things from the book. The descriptions of the illustrations had my imagination in overdrive, as I tried to picture gorgeous garden pictures, to accompany the recipes and Rosie's aunt's notes. 

The Runaway Bridesmaid was reasonably easy to read, and not too long. There are some really nice sections, and I loved Rosie's day out with Charlie. 

To me, The Runaway Bridesmaid started off slow, and improved as the book progressed, to a possibly predictable, but definitely enjoyable ending. This is a good debut from Daisy James, and she is an author I would read more from. 

Thanks to Netgalley and Carina for this review copy. This was my honest opinion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...