Sunday 4 October 2015

Book Review - You Think You Know Me by Clare Chase

Amazon UK
Title: You Think You Know Me
Author: Clare Chase
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Choc Lit Lite
Publication Date: 7th September 2015
Rating: 3.5 Stars


Sometimes, it's not easy to tell the good guys from the bad ...
Freelance journalist, Anna Morris, is struggling to make a name for herself, so she's delighted to attend a launch event for a hip young artist at her friend Seb's gallery.

But an exclusive interview isn't all Anna comes away with. After an encounter with the enigmatic Darrick Farron, she is flung into the shady underground of the art scene - a world of underhand dealings, missing paintings and mysterious deaths ...

Seb is intent on convincing Anna that Darrick is up to no good but, try as she might, she can't seem to keep away from him. And as she becomes further embroiled, Anna begins to wonder - can Seb's behaviour be explained away as the well-intentioned concern of an old friend, or does he have something to hide?

Not really sure what to make of this book. I found the majority of it a bit slow, and although I had some interest in what appeared to be the main mystery of the story, I wasn't finding I cared that much about the details. And then I hit the last 20% and found the pace was ramped up and it was like a different book. It was interesting, unputdownable, and everything it had been building to, was suddenly revealed and I hadn't seen any of it coming. 

The writing was easy to read and it did flow well, I was though struggling to care about any of the characters, although Sally, one of Anna's flatmates was definitely the most likeable. 

If the whole book had been like the last bit then this would probably have been a very different review. I am under the impression that this is the first book of a series, so would be interested in reading the next one, as there were elements I really liked. 

Overall I did like this book, I just didn't love it. 

Thanks to Netgalley and Choc Lit for this review copy. This was my honest review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...