Tuesday 6 October 2015

Book Review - Write For Me by Michelle Holt

Amazon UK
Title: Write For Me
Author: Michelle Holt
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Author supplied review copy
Publisher: Self Published
Publication Date: 24th July 2015
Rating: 3. 5 Stars


My name is Bently Young. I wouldn’t say I’m an angry person. In fact my life had been like a bubble gum infused sundae topped with happiness sprinkles up until the age of when I could date. And I started to date a lot. Guys were fun at first, a nice dinner, someone to tell me I was pretty and laugh at my sarcastic jokes. But then the little creeps started showing their true colors. And they were not my favorite colors. They were like barf green and overripe fungus tangerine. And it made me angry. 

Swearing off dating all together was too drastic, but I sure wanted to not do it for a while. I had my family and friends to keep me occupied. I didn’t need a man to take me to cheesy restaurants. One could only eat so much free bread and butter. Life could keep zooming along without the necessity of someone with chest hair being around. 

Oh but then I met Josh. If I could have just never known he existed, all would have been fine. Of course, I don’t mean that because if I never knew he was in the world, my own world would have been an awful place. He makes me want to dance under a happiness sprinkle hail storm. Pretty much he is gorgeous and has the insane ability to use his words to make my heart float out of my chest. That made things a lot better when everything else I knew in my life decided to implode. But we weren’t immune to the black hole of horribleness either. 

Ours is an epic love story and I just happened to write it down for you… 

There is something about this book that not only made me agree to read it, but that I really enjoyed. I think it was the author's voice, if you like the way the blurb is written, then it gives you a good idea to the humour and wit involved in this book. 

Even in truly devastating parts of the story, there is still an element that made me not be able to take the story completely seriously. 

This is Bently and Josh's story, it is not your average straight forward romance, and has many ups and downs to it. What really kept making me smile,  were the notes that Josh was continually passing to Bently. They were written on lined notebook paper, and were a mix of bad rhymes, random thoughts and feelings, as well as sometimes practical details of when their next date, 

You need to keep an eye out for Josh's ex-girlfriend, as she really is a nasty piece of work, and doesn't take being dumped for Bently all that well. You will be amazed at the extents she goes to for revenge. 

There was plenty in this story to make me laugh, and at other times cringe. There were a few storylines, including one with her professor, that possibly should have been fleshed out a bit more, as could have been really good.

Write For Me had plenty of good ideas in it, and the pace moved really fast. This is a very pleasant and enjoyable read, great for whiling away a rainy afternoon. I found Write For Me to be a promising debut novel, and will be interested to see what Michelle Holt writes next. 

Thank you so much to Michelle for offering me a copy of this book to review. This was my honest opinion and review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...