Thursday 15 October 2015

Book Review - Pretty Girls by Karin Slaughter

Amazon UK
Title: Pretty Girls
Author: Karin Slaughter
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Cornerstone Digital
Publication Date: 2nd July 2015
Rating: 5 Stars


With a missing girl in the news, Claire Scott can’t help but be reminded of her sister, who disappeared twenty years ago in a mystery that was never solved. 

But when Claire begins to learn the truth about her sister, nothing will ever be the same.

Wow! What can I say about this addictive thriller. Oddly not too much as there is so many horrific details to be revealed, and the book is fast paced, its hard to say things without giving away just how dastardly the villain is.

Suffice to say the crimes in question, start of as this is bad, moving onto more and more horrific revelations as we learn more about the perpetrator. 

The main person making the various discoveries, is Claire Scott, who has always wondered what happened to her sister twenty years ago, when she vanished. The sister going missing set into place a series of chain reactions that tore Claire's family apart. 

However in her hour of need, will they become close again, or will her impetuous temper get her into real trouble. And just what did happen to her sister. 

There is a lot of gory details in the story, that I decided I would semi skim passed, as I was petrified that if I read them fully I would have imagery in my mind that I would never un-see, and be scarred for life. 

Despite the crimes leaving a very unpleasant taste in my mouth, Pretty Girls is a brilliant book. It kept me hooked and wide awake, during a very busy period at work, and my mind was working away on the plot while I was working. Even when I was utterly exhausted, I was still preferring to read the book than fall asleep, which to me is the mark of a very addictive story. 

There is a lot of trust issues in the book, and even after all the revelations, I found it hard to remember who was actually on whose side. There is a fair amount of treachery, double crossing, and various dastardly behaviours. 

Pretty Girls is only the second book I have read by Karin Slaughter, and it has cemented in my mind that I need to read more of them!

Thanks to Cornerstone and Netgalley for this review copy. This was my honest review. 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds gritty but compelling! I just recently read KS for the first time too - two of her short stories Necessary Women (certainly packs a punch) & The Mean Time... like you, a writer I definitely want to read more of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The other KS I read this year was Unseen which I also enjoyed. I've not read her short stories, but will definitely be after future new releases. I just don't have time anymore to attempt to read back catalogues and new books.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...