Wednesday 21 October 2015

Book Review - The Girl With No Past by Kathryn Croft

Amazon UK
Title: The Girl With No Past
Author: Kathryn Croft
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Bookouture
Publication Date: 15th October 2015
Rating: 3 Stars


Fourteen years running from your past. Today it catches up.

A gripping psychological thriller for fans of Gone Girl and The Girl on the Train. 

Leah Mills lives a life of a fugitive – kept on the run by one terrible day from her past. It is a lonely life, without a social life or friends until – longing for a connection – she meets Julian. For the first time she dares to believe she can live a normal life. 

Then, on the fourteenth anniversary of that day, she receives a card. Someone knows the truth about what happened. Someone who won’t stop until they’ve destroyed the life Leah has created. 

But is Leah all she seems? Or does she deserve everything she gets? 

Everyone has secrets. But some are deadly.

This book has a great premise, and there were definitely twists I didn't see coming, the writing is good, but yet the whole book just left me feeling flat. 

Normally when I read a psychological thriller, I can't put it down, or am eagerly awaiting the next time I can pick it up, with The Girl With No Past, although I was interested in the story, it just didn't consume me. I think it may have something to do with how long it seemed to take to get anything more than a rough hint as to the terrible thing Leah did. 

And to be honest, the main thing that is revealed, I just didn't think was worthy of all the build up. There is a bit more of a surprise after that, but by then I wasn't bothered. 

Leah even in the chapters about her childhood, leading up to the hidden past, just didn't seem like a normal character. I really struggled to relate to her at all, and her choice of childhood boyfriend leaves a lot to be desired. 

Leah seems to be incapable of leading a regular life, as an adult, and various situations panic her, basically anything that isn't part of her routine. I found a large amount of what she was thinking very repetitive and I know books tend to build up to a big finish, but to me the tension just wasn't there. This may just because I wasn't that keen on Leah. 

I can't exactly put my finger on what it was, but although I did quite like the book, it just didn't hit the high spots I would have hoped for. I had been looking forward to reading this for a while, and overall it just felt a bit anti-climatic. 

Thanks to Bookoutre and Netgalley for this review copy. This is my honest review. 

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...