Friday 30 October 2015

Book Review - Christmas at Coorah Creek by Janet Gover

Amazon UK
Title: Christmas at Coorah Creek
Author: Janet Gover
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Choc Lit
Publication Date: 30th October 2015
Rating: 5 Stars


What if you don’t want to be home for Christmas? 

Spending Christmas away from home is one thing but English nurse Katie Brooks is spending hers in Coorah Creek; a small town in the Australian outback. 

Katie was certain leaving London was the right decision, but her new job in the outback is more challenging than she could have ever imagined. 

Scott Collins rescued Katie on her first day in Coorah Creek and has been a source of comfort ever since. But Scott no longer calls the town home – it’s too full of bad memories and he doesn’t plan on sticking around for long. 

Scott needs to leave. Katie needs to stay. They have until Christmas to decide their future … 

This was my first book that I have read by Janet Gover, and it definitely won't be my last. I was gripped from the first to the last word. Its a relatively short novella, and only took me around 90 mins to read it, and I was hooked.

It was also obviously my first encounter with Coorah Creek, a small town in the Australian outback, but as Scott returns to the place and takes a look around, you soon get a very vivid picture of what the town is like, and what life in the outback must be like.

Even in the first few pages, where Katie's car breaks down on a long very empty looking long road, there is a mention of the only sign of life she had seen for ages being a lone kangaroo, which really brought home the seriousness of her initial predicament, and also how the book is clearly set in Australia!

Katie is a young English girl, a nurse who has come to Coorah Creek to rediscover her love of nursing, after being fed up with doctor's attitudes in London to her. Scott is her rescuer, and he is dreading returning to Coorah Creek for the first time in 8 years. 

There is a lot of action and drama is this book, as you would expect from Katie being an outback nurse, but she does have a lot of doubts as to whether its really the best place she should have escaped to. She also is doubting just how Christmas would be celebrated, since there is no chance of a white Christmas in the outback.

I won't tell you just how Christmas day is celebrated, but it does summon up the key themes of Christmas, in a really good way, and there is a, I hate to say Christmas miracle, but lets go for something unlikely happening,. 

Christmas at Coorah Creek didn't completely feel like a Christmas book to me, however I really didn't care either, as I was enjoying the story so much, which was more the focus of the book, than the time of year. I loved my trip to Coorah Creek, and I hope to return there again one day soon. 

Thanks to Choc Lit and Netgalley for this review copy. This was my honest opinion. 

Happy publication day to Janet Gover. Christmas at Coorah Creak it out now!

3 comments:

  1. Aww - thank you. I am so glad you liked the book and spending Christmas Day in Australia. J X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome, I hope you are having a fantastic publication day.

      Delete
    2. Oooh, what a lovely review! Glad you enjoyed it, Rachel! Thanks for sharing. :) xx

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...